I love MCC

We have a store in our city called the MCC Thrift Store - run by the Mennonite Central Committee which sends money and workers to disasters and other impoverished nations, etc....a really great cause! So, all the money you spend at the MCC goes to help, PLUS: it is a virtual treasure trove of everything you could ever want (Trev calls it junk even though he bought a Whirlitzer (sp?) there for only $35 that we could sell on ebay for more than $1000) So, today I shopped with Lynette - she says that she learned to Thrift-shop from me, but this is a classic case of the 'student' far surpassing the 'teacher' because she finds the BEST stuff for me when I'm there. Today, nearly brand new Snow Board pants for Cale ($2.50), a gorgeous pink winter ski jacket for Mica ($2.50), pants for Mica from Esprit ($2.00), Vests for all the kids ($1.00-$1.50) and even a skirt and a pair of jeans for me. Also I found a few more books for the kids. At the rate they go through chapter books, who can afford $8 each at a bookstore, when I can get them for $0.25 each and support MCC? And here's my crafty purchase of the day - a bag of little tiny jewelry boxes...$1.00. I have visions of tiny Christmas presents, mini-albums, treasure boxes and shadow boxes dancing in my head.
And this magnetic sculpture thing - it's a magnet base with tiny little metal X's and O's. Would these not make the cutest little Valentine cards?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Cherry Blossom said...

I love going with you! I hope we never stop finding those great deals together!

Alanne said...

Cathy. Yes you have taught me well! I love MCC. I wish the one here was as good as there though. I'm sure it's because Grandma Schellenberg puts in her time. :)

That magnet scupture thingy is so great. Chris-Ann wanted to go to the Telus world of Science to get one from the gift shop. Great memories playing with it!

See you soon!

Maria said...

you are definitly the queen of MCC!

Corinna said...

I found your blog again! I have something similar to your magnet thing, and always kept it on my desk when I was a teacher. The kids LOVED to play with it, such a great fidgeting thing!! Keep it as is, I'd say! But then again, I'm not a true scrapbooker at heart...